top of page
  • Writer's pictureTails 'N' Trees

The most poisonous foods for dogs!

CHOCOLATE is poisonous for dogs as it contains chemicals known as methylxanthines (specifically caffeine and theobromine). These chemicals affect the heart and muscles. Theobromine poisoning symptoms include tremors, seizures, even death.

GRAPES AND RAISINS can cause kidney failure in dogs. It’s thought that dogs are unable to metabolize the combination of flavonoids, tannins, and monosaccharides from the grapes.

MYCOTOXINS are highly toxic substances produced by fungi and mould that grows on bad food. These substances are very poisonous to dogs and can can cause seizures, tremors and even death. Make sure your dog cannot get into the garbage.

XYLITOL is extremely dangerous as it causes a rapid, huge insulin release in dogs, resulting in weakness, staggering, vomiting, and even unconsciousness and liver failure. Xylitol is a sweetener found in sweets, chewing gum, chocolate, mouthwash, baked goods.

CAFFEINE has a bigger effect on dogs than humans. The caffeine in coffee, tea, sodas can raise blood pressure and cause an increased heart rate, cardiac arrhythmias, tremors and seizures.

ALCOHOL OR ETHANOL poisoning causes depression of the central nervous system which causes drowsiness, and unconsciousness. Ethanol is not just present in alcoholic drinks but also in mouthwash, perfume and cleaners.

If your dog has consumed anything toxic, contact your vet immediately, as your dog may need urgent medical intervention.

0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page