Tails 'N' Trees
Help prevent the spread of rabies
Updated: Jun 19, 2021
Did you know that:
1. Rabies is an ancient and vicious virus that can infect all mammals, there have even been cases of rabies in horses!
2. Once symptoms occur, death is 100% certain.
3. Approximately 20,000 people die of rabies each year in India.
4. Rabies is easily preventable with either pre-exposure and post-exposure vaccinations.
5. If you are bitten by a dog, wash the wound immediately with soap and running water for 15 full minutes, then go to your doctor for post-exposure vaccinations. Always complete the full course.
6. Symptoms of rabies in dogs can include drooling, hanging lower jaw, paralysis, unsteadiness, inability to eat or drink, aggressiveness. Not all dogs with rabies show aggressiveness!
WHAT YOU CAN DO to help prevent the spread of Rabies:
A. Get your pet dogs and cats vaccinated at your local vet.
B. If you are a feeder, get all your dogs you feed vaccinated. Frequency of vaccination depends on the type of rabies vaccine – consult your local NGO or vet for help and advice.
C. Support NGOs that vaccinate dogs against rabies.
D. If you suspect a dog has symptoms of rabies contact PMC or ResQ helplines as they have quarantine facilities for rabies.